The big dogs have landed in Tasmania as campaigning begins for Braddon.
Sportsbet is reporting that it’ll be a tight race with Labor losing ground for the seat, they’ve been as short as $1.32 but have since drifted out to $1.70.
The Liberals are now considered a $1.90 chance after firming in from $3.50.
Punters are putting the by-election down to a coin toss, with 57% of the total money wagered backing Labor and the remaining 43% to Liberals.
“This is gearing up to be a hotly contested by-election which could have some big implications come the Federal Election. Only once has an opposition ever lost a by-election to a Government, so if Labor does lose their footing it’ll be a big news,” said sportsbet.com.au’s Ella Zampatti.
Market courtesy of sportsbet.com.au
Division of Braddon By-Election
$1.70 Labor (out from $1.60)
$1.90 Liberal (in from $2.00)
$12 Independent (Donna Gibbons)
$21 Independent (Craig Garland)
$41 Liberal Democrats
$71 Australian People’s Party (out from $61)
$101 Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party (out from $81)