TAB customers are certainly a parochial bunch and that has never been more evident as we head into the start of the Rugby World Cup in Japan.
With the tournament kicking off on Friday, Australia ($18) are the second best supported team in TAB’s winner market behind defending champions New Zealand ($2.40).
Punters have lapped up the value on offer for the Wallabies to the point where they nearly hold more than equal tournament second favs England South Africa combined! Despite their popularity, Australia is still holding less than half of what the All Blacks are.
“Michael Cheika almost pulled off a minor miracle four years ago when the Wallabies reached the Final after a difficult 12 months,” TAB’s Gerard Middleton said.
“The recent victory over the All Blacks in Perth has clearly given many punters hope, and they would be buoyed by the return of champion backrower David Pocock who is vital to their chances in Japan.”
In other betting news:
- Australia are $2.35 to win all four of their pool matches
- The Wallabies are $2 to make the semis and $6 to make the Final
- New Zealand (to win the tournament) have been popular with multi players
- There are a number of $1.01 favourites in the opening pool matches which have been leveraged through multis
- Ireland ($1.30) have been the best supported to team to win their opening round pool match
TAB ODDS – OPENING POOL MATCHES
New Zealand $1.40
South Africa $3
**$5,040 @ $1.26 on Ireland (averaged out)
WORLD CUP – WINNER
New Zealand $2.40
South Africa $5
Others from $251
PERCENTAGE OF TOTAL HOLD IN WINNER MARKET
42% New Zealand
9% South Africa
Notable bets on the Wallabies: $2,500 at $15 (February 15), $3,000 at $15 (August 10) and $1,500 at $17 (September 14)
Australia to win all four pool matches – YES $2.35
Australia not to win all four pool matches – NO $1.57